Tuesday, June 10, 2014

More Transparency - Rants of a recruiter

I spend a lot of time trying to research and fine tune how I message and approach recruiting developers. I used to cold call people at their desks, and have received a resounding "Don't do that!" from the developers that sit around me. Lesson learned!

One of the things I've always heard though is they want to know what the salary range is. I understand they don't want to waste their time and would like to at least have an idea of what range the company is looking to be at. I've decided to push for including salary ranges on my messages and postings (although the argument for not listing salary is to not discourage someone that is potentially slightly higher, but if they are ideal could be considered).

However, as I scan resumes that people have posted, 98% of them do not include any type of desired salary or prior salary. Why are they so adamant to receive that information from companies, but are not willing to provide any information themselves?

Unfortunately I know there is so much noise today and many recruiters that give the recruitment industry a very bad name! I saw a tweet today with a funny little punchline ("Recruiters - Now seeking 5+ years of Swift experience) - unfortunately I know that actually happens. I would love to see an increase in the overall talent of the Recruitment industry, but would also love to see potential candidates be a little more willing to meet halfway. It would help make the process of hiring talented individuals a lot smoother for everyone involved!

End rant  :)


If you have any questions about how recruiters process or view things, feel free to reach out. I know it sometimes seems like a black hole or is impossible to figure out what recruiters or other hiring authorities are looking for. I'm always willing to help

No comments:

Post a Comment